3/1/18

Today I decided to spend my time learning some basic linear algebra concepts that gave me a good understanding of matrix multiplication, whether or not these concepts will be directly useful to my project. Matrix multiplication is the main operation neural networks use to "learn", so I figured that it would be a good idea to attain a conceptual understanding of linear algebra. I wanted to attain a deeper understanding of what is happening when two matrices are multiplied, so I started watching a video series by the youtube channel 3Blue1Brown. As I watched the videos, I learned that they were meant to give a geometric explantation, in terms of vectors in 2d and 3d space, and did a great job at explaining some of the matrix multiplication formulas that many of us just memorized in pre calc without a clear understanding of how what we were doing makes intuitive sense when explained in terms of 2d and 3d space. I got through about 4 of these videos and they were totally worthwhile; now I know why matrix multiplication is done the way it is and how it makes sense graphically.

Comments

Popular Posts